13 May 2011

Will of Jacob Stroup

I found this digital copy of the will of Jacob Stroup while I was writing a paper in college about the migration of the Stroup family. This transcription was made by  Ethel Belle Stroupe of California, so much thanks to her for having this available online.

WILL OF JACOB STROUP, MARCH 27, 1800: Lincoln Co., N. C.--In the name of God Amen.---I, Jacob Stroup, of the County of Lincoln and State of North Carolina being of Sound Memory and understanding do make and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament and so to making my worldly Estate desire to dispose of in manner and form following.---Viz. First I Give and bequeath to my Son Adam Stroup five Shillings. Item: I Give to my Grandson John Stroup five Shillings. Item: I Give to my Daughter Betsy one Shilling. Item: I give to my daughter Fanny one Shilling. Item: I give to my daughter Mary one Shilling. Item: I give to my Son Philip five Shillings. Item: I give to my Daughter Barbara one Shilling.----Item: I give to my daughter Elizabeth twenty-four pounds of pewter and dresser, six knives and forks, one large pot, one small one, and one 'fryang' pan and two Chairs, one washing tub, two pickling tubs, one 'Scimmer' and one Ladle.----Item: I give to my Daughter Hannah one Shilling. Item: I give to my son George five Shillings. Item: I give to my Son John five Shillings and forty Acres of Land out of the Old Tract. Item: I give to my Son Daniel five Shillings.---Item: I give to my Son Michael one bay Mare, two plows, two pair Chains, three hoes, one Wind Mill and one Culling Box.----Lastly, I give to my Wife, Nancy, two cows, one bed and bed 'sted', one Chest and forty Dollars, and I do Ratify and Confirm this to be my Last will & Testament, 'disannuling' all Wills and testaments herefore by me Made, and I do appoint Martin Friday & Jacob Hoffman to be Executors of this Will & Testament.----Witness my hand and seal this 27th day of March 1800. ---(Signed) Jacob Stroup -- Jo. Abernathy, Testate---Lincoln County Court, January Session 1805. The within will was proved in open Court by oath of Joseph Abernathy & Recorded.---Witness: Leon Henderson.

(NOTE) The original of this will is in the N. C. State Archives in Raleigh. It consists of two pages, in the very large, very round hand writing of Joseph Abernathy, a paralegal scribe who wrote many of the wills in this area. Joseph Stroup signing his name to his will very clearly, and in English script, not German.

Image and transcription from Jacob Straub/Stroup Genealogy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...