18 August 2011

Thankful Thursday: Census Images on Heritage Quest

I'm thankful for several things today--

#1 Census Images--because they allow you to see a spatial relationship between two or more families

#2 Heritage Quest-- I love Ancestry.com, but I don't have a subscription right now, so instead I use my local libraries access for Heritage Quest. Having more than one place to find census images is also useful because transcriptions are different on the two sites, so a road block on one might not be present on the other.

I was especially thankful earlier this week while I was writing & "updating" Matrilineal Monday: The Daughters of Frances Buffaloe & Larkin Wood. I hated connecting the daughters to their husbands based off of the single marriage records I found on FamilySearch.org.

What if there was more than one Fannie Wood and I was chasing after the wrong one?!?! But lo and behold, I found an image that subsided some of my fears--one that had several of the families I was researching all on one page.


There are at least FOUR connected families on this one page (and possibly more just from my cursory glance at the other surnames on the page):

Image of Ervin Mann & Hattie Wood Mann (daughter of Fannie Wood).
Image of William Castleberry & his children. Two months after the census is recorded he will go on to marry Minnie Wood (shown in image below).
Image of Fannie Wood and several of her unmarried children: Minnie, Rena, Lena, and Kelso. 
Image of William Hunter, his wife Fannie Wood Hunter (daughter of Fannie Wood), their children, and William's mother & sister. 
These images come from the
1900 United States Census; Series: T623, Roll: 1221, Page: 284
White Oak Township, Wake County, North Carolina
Enumeration District: 153, Sheet No. 22B



(Click for larger image)*


*1900 Census Series: T623  Roll: 1221  Page: 284

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...