11 August 2011

Thrifty Thursday: North Carolina Digital Collections

NC Digital Collection screen shot


One of my favorite ways of researching my ancestors online is to find free resources online. Not only does this save me a trip to the local library (& the gas money), but it also provides faster digital searches and an opportunity to save digital copies for later use. Here are just a few of my favorites....more to be added later of course!



North Carolina Digital Collections
By the Archives & Library of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.

The NC Digital Collections offers up great free digital resources like

One of the more popular collections, the NC Family Records provides bible records, marriage & death notices from NC newspapers, and cemetery photos all searchable by family name and recently updated as of June 13, 2011
 This collection offers historic maps from the late 1500s to 2000. It can be searched by location, date and subject; and their is an interactive historic map overlay which compares historic maps with current road maps. 
 This collection provides select digitalized newspapers that date from 1751-1890s, mainly from the cities of Edenton, Fayetteville, Hillsboro, New Bern, Salisbury, & Wilmington. 

3 comments:

  1. Great resources. You have me wishing I had North Carolina ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these resources...I am going to use immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!!! I didn't know about some of these... and I do plenty of NC research. http://www.1ancestry2littletime.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...